As a mom, there is nothing more satisfying than coming up with healthy dinner ideas that are not only delicious, but are good for my family. I love taking traditional recipes, such as those for latkes, and tweaking them a bit to stuff the most nutrition in without sacrificing taste. Check out this easy, fast and delicious recipe cauliflower and potato latkes.
*As always, I recommend using local and organic ingredients when possible.Ingredients:
* Six medium potatoes
* Half of a medium-size cauliflower head
* One cup of Whole wheat flour
* 2 Eggs
* One quarter of a medium onion
* One quarter of a medium clove of garlic
* Salt and pepper (to taste)
* Flax Seed (this ingredient is completely voluntary, but I add it because it’s healthy and easy to sneak it for added nutrition)
1. Peel the potatoes.
2. In a food processor, shred the cauliflower, potatoes, garlic and onion. (If a food processor is not available, manually shred the cauliflower and potatoes, and finely chop the garlic and onion).
3. Add the flower, eggs, flax seeds, salt and pepper.
5. Preheat a skillet with your choice of vegetable oil.
6. Doll out spoon-size chunks of the mixture. Flip after about two minutes (each side should be golden brown and crispy on the outside).
7. Enjoy with some sour cream or apple sauce.